Table of Contents
Attention is the new Currency.
Everyone is trying to get our attention, causing us to be more and more distracted. Distractions can either be External or Internal. Most likely, you will have enough external distractions that you would not even notice your internal distractions.
Don't try to overcome distractions, Make it impossible to get distracted.
Here are some ways that I try to keep my external distractions to a minimum.
- Headphones: Having noise-canceling headphones is a great way to cut off external sounds. I listen to music or background noise apps that simulate different environments. Noisli is one such app.
- Sacred Hours: Find and block time for yourself from everyone else. For me, this is early morning, before my family wakes up.
- Distractions Device: If you have multiple devices at home, you can set up different devices for work and fun. Don't log on to social media or email on your work devices, and keep that only to your device for fun.
- Turn off Notifications: Notifications are the biggest attention grabber. Turn them off. Yes, that's correct, you don't need them. I haven't had them for over 7 years. The only notification I get on my phone is the phone call.
- Distraction Blocker Apps: Since most of my work is on a computer, I use Freedom, an app to block distractions. You can configure it for a specific schedule, and it will block all distraction websites during that time. This works across multiple devices.
Got to go, my son is calling. 👋
Rahul Nath Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.